Senior Systems Administrator
Under the direction of the Manager IT Services, the Senior Systems Administrator is responsible for the installation, configuration, maintenance, security and availability of systems on the Corporate LAN in a primarily Microsoft and Linux/Unix environment. In a manner consistent with Distributel’s values, the incumbent may participate in technical research and development while championing a strong emphasis on balancing network security, privacy, enabling innovation and improving efficiency. The incumbent provides much needed operational and planning support to the development teams throughout the project life cycle and ensures a smooth transition into production. The Senior Systems Administrator works in a fast paced, team environment and provides immediate support to all members of the organization utilizing our corporate network.
- Perform scheduled support and after-hours maintenance activities such as patching / updating highly available mission critical systems and services for our data centres, network devices, server and storage systems (including but not limited to: Windows Servers, Active Directory, Clusters, SAN storage, WSUS, File and Print Servers, Exchange, VMWare, Hyper-V, IIS, SQL, Wi-Fi and cloud applications).
- Collaborate with various teams to plan, design, install, configure, test and troubleshoot, multiple components of the IT infrastructure. Leverage Distributel’s existing resources to make recommendations that improve the efficiency of system administration with a goal toward meeting (or exceeding) our service level and high-availability expectations.
- Manage virtualized and cloud computer solutions such as (but not limited to) VMWare, Hyper-V, VEEAM, Azure, 0365 and Cerberus.
- Create and maintain accurate documentation of designs, processes and procedures for all elements of the IT stack (deployment, setup, system configurations, architecture, networking, testing and backups).
- Monitor and provide periodic reporting on daily activities, system performance and hardware / software inventories necessary for resource and capacity planning.
- Monitor and respond to security or privacy related incidents. Recommend and implement best practices for privacy and security related processes including server & endpoint protection, firewalls, remote access, mobile devices, wi-fi, certificates, networking and applications.
- Remain highly engaged in all aspects of the day-to-day desktop & end-user support including, but not limited to the acquisition and set up of hardware, providing end user training as needed and ensuring the availability of VDI resources, Domain Controllers, Active Directory, 0365, DHCP, DNS and many other services.
- On call hours 24/7 rotation
- Office environment
- Lift up to 50lbs of IT equipment
- Travel between offices as required
- Work under pressure with tight deadlines
Computer Skills and Software Used:
- Windows Servers (2003/2008/2012)
- Linux OSes(Ubuntu/CentOS/RHEL)
- Networking (OSI, Ethernet, IP Networks, VPN/LAN/WAN etc.)
- Windows/Linux scripting languages (PowerShell, Bash, Python, Perl)
- Windows and Linux Mail servers Technologies (MS Exchange/Postfix)
- Juniper Cisco Networking equipment configuration
- Network Storage solutions and protocols(SAN/NAS/ISCSI)
- Windows/Linux Clustering
- Windows/Linux Webservers
- SharePoint Server
- MS SQL
- Skype for Business UC
- Azure environment
Education and Training:
- Technical diploma
- 5 years of experience in an IT Systems Administrator role
Skills and Aptitudes:
- Programing Windows/Linux sever scripts
- Oriented Object Programming knowledge
- Ability to learn and adapt to new technologies
- Ability to learn and support corporate applications
- Facilitating a "Service-oriented" environment while dealing with multiple users
- Maintaining a secure corporate IT desktop environment
- Strong analytical and problem-solving ability
- Ability to prioritize tasks effectively
- Ability to teach users new technology
- Demonstrating mechanical aptitude
- Excellent oral /written communication and interpersonal skills