SENIOR MANAGER - Information Systems Development (SM-ISD)
Reporting to the Director of Information Systems, the Senior Manager of Information Systems Development (SMISD) is responsible for taking a strong leadership role and providing overall direction of planning and executing development processes of software programs for internal use, related to internal software development at Distributel, accommodating for both client and departmental needs. He or she must maintain a high level of understanding of user needs to effectively communicate design choices and specifications to software developers to ensure desired results. Direct and sustained supervision of software developers and acts as a team lead on projects. Requires application of mature software development knowledge in planning and conducting projects with a primary focus on the development of information systems.
- Conduct regular project planning meetings with senior management to align development activities with the strategy, mission and goals of the organizations.
- Work is assigned in terms of objectives, relative priorities, and critical areas that impinge on work of other units. Work is carried out within broad guidelines.
- Assigns and outlines work; advises on technical problems; reviews work for technical accuracy, and adequacy. Supervision may call for recommendations concerning selection, training, rating and discipline of staff.
- Monitor progress of completions of tasks, projects and deadlines.
- Provide technical and process expertise to the team.
- Engage change management best practices for deployment of new software systems and components as well as maintenance activities for system patches, support solutions, bug fixes, and feature enhancements of existing information systems.
- Provide leadership to assigned technical and engineering resources, including 3rd party contractors, to establish and implement quality, schedule and cost objectives.
- Manage all direct reports, including hiring, training, performance reviews, ensuring adherence to policies and procedures, disciplinary measures as needed.
- Must use diplomacy and persuasion to motivate team efforts towards projects, deadlines and meeting departmental objectives.
- Communicate effectively with managers, users, team members, cross functional departments, to ensure that priorities, deliverables and problems are clearly identified and relevant parties are informed of any changes to project timelines.
Direct Reports to the job
- Senior Systems Developers
- Software Developers
- Web and Applications Developers
- Occasional travel to other offices (Ottawa, Montreal and Edmonton)On call availability
- Office environment
- Working under pressure, tight deadlines
Education, Soft Skills and Training
- Bachelor degree in computer science or college diploma in Computer programming
- 5+ years of progressive experience delivering enterprise projects
- 5-10 years in a senior software developer role
- 5-10 years in a management role leading teams of 10+ in a geographically distributed environment
- Strong leadership and team management skills
- Self-motivated, team player, action and results driven
- Personable, confident and professional, must be able to lead by example
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent organizational, time management and planning skills
- Knowledge of industry trends, programming techniques, best practices, and technologies
- Analytical and detail-oriented person
- Ability to manage, direct and motivate staff to deliver projects under tight deadlines
- Strong problem-solving skills
- Acceptable combination of experience and certification
- Strong understanding of Project Management principles and practices
- Strong understanding of Agile planning and delivery methodology and frameworks
Required Technical Skills and Experience:
- .NET web stack (C#, .NET MVC, Entity Framework)
- SQL and NoSQL databases
- REST/JSON APIs
- GIT and GIT workflows
- Microsoft Visual Studio
- Unit testing
- Developer tools incl. code editors, file compare/merge/sync tools, ssh, scp, sftp
- Three major web browsers (e.g. Internet Explorer, Chrome, Firefox)
Nice to have Technical Skills and Experience
- Experience with Java, Node.JS and/or PHP
- Experience with React, Angular and/or Vue.js
- Have an open-source project with a GitHub repository
- Experience with Linux
- Experience with Azure or Docker