Data Center Specialist
Under the direction of the Senior Manager, Data Network and Infrastructure, the Data Center Specialist will be responsible for performance analysis, proactive troubleshooting and capacity planning of the Edmonton Data Center (DC). As the primary contact for the Data Center, you will support the Data Center infrastructure, including maintaining the high service availability of the facility and network.
- Provide technical supervision and assistance to engineering consultants, construction project managers, trades and specialized service providers (i.e. HVAC, Electrical, Generator, Fire Suppression, Security, local facility management).
- Procure, install, move, de-install hardware as needed. Perform structured cabling, as required, as well as DC power runs from fuse panel to equipment.
- Assist the sale of Data Center space and access circuits; continuously update Data Center environment and relevant process documentation; provision/deploy equipment and order supplies.
- Review the Data Center environment, ensure reduction of failure, identify and eliminate defects and improve performance.
- Interact with client executive and project stakeholders as a technical Data Center contact to effectively communicate and gain acceptance of comprehensive solutions and/or moves.
- Resolve issues in a timely manner and demonstrate an appropriate sense of urgency. Exhibit flexibility and willingness to take on new responsibilities and assignments as they are identified and assist with various ad-hoc projects as needed.
- Provide advice and guidance about future network trends. Identify and pursue opportunities to enhance expertise and knowledge. Identify and address areas for personal development to provide a high level of management, technical advice and guidance.
- Provide technical expertise, guidance, advice and knowledge transfer to all relevant staff.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor degree or diploma in Engineering, Computer Science, Networking Technology, IT or a related field
- Minimum 5-10 years’ industry experience
- Provide after-hours assistance (evenings/weekends)
- Assist with maintenance hours overnight work as required
- Data Center environment and Office environment
- Lift up to 50lbs of IT equipment
- Travel between offices as required
- Work under pressure with tight deadlines
- Juniper Certification (JNCIA)
- Cisco Certification would be considered an asset (CCNA, CCNP)
Skills and Aptitudes
- Superior problem solving and decision-making skills, including maintaining up-to-date documentation
- Good communication both verbal and written with good interpersonal skills to build relationships with internal and external customers and vendors
- Ability to work under pressure in a dynamic unsupervised environment and handle multiple complex tasks, with tight deadlines concurrently
- Project management and follow-up documentation skills
- Demonstrated ability to use problem solving techniques such as performing root cause analysis to resolve issues
- Demonstrated ability to write and present effective materials, including presentations, status reporting, technical diagrams and flowcharts
- Ability to follow and adhere to policies, procedures and standards relating to Operations Management
- Knowledge of networking and network security technologies including routing, switching, Spanning Tree, IPSEC, PPTP, SSL, NAT, VPN and firewalls
- Ability to lift 60lbs