NETWORK PLANNING ANALYST
Working in tandem with the entire Carrier Relations team, the Network Planning Analyst plans and coordinates carrier projects. This person will analyze and plan these activities by obtaining and assessing vendor quotes for a wide range of telecommunications services, submitting orders to vendors, confirming resources internally and from vendors, coordinating order activities through to completion, and confirming billing changes from vendors to customers, with the goal of delivering the project on time and on budget. A strong, collaborative team environment; where a shared work intake queue must be effectively monitored and managed. Related duties include forecasting and tracking volumes and costs, reporting on compliance with commitments to vendors, and producing a variety of standard and ad hoc reports, and planning Network projects relating to Network Capacity planning and integration.
- Coordinates the implementation of telecommunications services required within Distributel’s network and serve Distributel’s customers. Services include (but are not limited to) TDM-based (e.g. DS-1, DS-3, OC-n), Ethernet-based (E10 to GigE), optical wavelength, network interconnection services and arrangements, etc. This typically includes the following:
- Define project scope, goals and deliverables, and keep relevant stakeholders appraised of status.
- Negotiate with vendors as required on proposed cost or due dates
- Assess quotes using multiple criteria including one-time and recurring costs, expected interval, commitment, and technical performance
- Proactively manage each activity through to successful completion.
- Work with all stakeholders to ensure Distributel and vendor resources are properly assigned; all issues resolved, and all milestones met.
- Network Capacity Management, Network Planning and Integration
- Coordinates orders to vendors to move, change or disconnect existing telecommunications services. Confirms that all billing changes are made as required by the vendor to Distributel and by Distributel to its customers.
- Maintains accurate documentation such as maps of network architecture and records of available and utilized capacity of network interconnections. Recommends capacity increments as needed to meet demand, while avoiding premature or excessive costs.
- Designs, produces, or contributes to a variety of reports; such as tracking performance against vendor commitments for volume or value of business.
- Performs other duties as assigned by management from time to time.
Computer Skills and Software Used
- MS Office and Carrier provided portals (SMS800, Bell Business Portal, 3rd party DID portals etc.) and other internal databases (PIC/CARE, SMDR, Facilities/Lines) etc.
Coordinates and executes other projects within the Network Services department, such as network expansion to support entry into new markets:
- Defines project scope, goals and deliverables with sponsor / stakeholders and communicates project expectations to team members.
- Identifies and manages project dependencies and critical path as well as changes in scope, identification of potential crisis and helps to develop contingency plans.
- Plans and schedules project timelines
- Tracks deliverables and revises scope, timelines or deliverables as necessary
- Reports on project status to stakeholders as required
- The team operates cross-functionally and supports other team members as needed.
- Must be able to work collaboratively within the team.
- Must have high tolerance to ambiguity and be able to cope with changes to priorities, requirements, vendor performance, resource availability and other variables.
- Regular business hours. Occasional overtime, sometimes on short notice to address implementation issues – within an indoor office environment.
Education and Experience
- Familiarity with telephony in general, including major service providers in Canada, and classes of telecom services such as TDM, Ethernet and IP.
- Time management and Project Management skills and experience.
- Introduction to project management (desirable)
- College level certification in telecommunications /I.T. (desirable)
Skills and Aptitudes
- Solution driven and able to overcome obstacles to achieve timely, successful implementation.
- Able to effectively prioritize and execute tasks in a high-pressure environment.
- Meticulous, detail-oriented investigator-able to find and correct issues autonomously.
- Strong “cost awareness” to minimize costs, maximize alignment of costs with revenues, and assist Billing Analyst with cost tracking and dispute resolution.
- Uses effective oral and written communications to elicit cooperation from a variety of sources, including management of other departments and vendors.
- Strong Teamwork skills – ability to assist colleagues and work in a teaming environment sharing workload functions