TELECOM COST ANALYST
Reporting to the Manager of Carrier Costing within Service Operations department, the Telecom Cost Analyst has the primary responsibility of auditing all costs of goods (COGs) and ensuring cost are accurate and disputed as required in a closed loop process. The Telecom Cost Analyst must provide Revenue Assurance audits as well as manage and maintain Circuit Inventor. The Telecom Cost Analyst will be responsible for contract and rate management, along with understanding CRTC rulings and the implication to cost management. The Telecom Cost Analyst must also prepare reports demonstrating COGs and other financial results pertaining to monthly cost of goods ensuring variances are reviewed and reported. Analytical skills and excellent Excel skills are key for this role AND a requirement.
- Review and audit all COG-invoices ensuring accuracy of costs through data analysis, database audits, invoice reviews, report analyses and comparisons.
- Revenue Assurance for customer accounts against COGs to ensure cost alignment.
- Understanding databases, Excel spreadsheets and able to audit and review billing data – in addition to establishing and maintaining said data through spreadsheets and MS Access and/or other database management tools.
- Work with the Billing Analyst to analyze monthly data/datasets and prepare monthly reports to track results for various business groups such as Finance.
- Mitigate invoice disputes and manage billing relationships with providers; identify and execute dispute (relationship management) strategies that secure results. Push for resolutions with consistent follow-up with carriers.
- Audit variances in billing and performs periodic audits to ensure integrity throughout the telecom validation process.
- Cost Analysis: Perform data comparison checks on billed costs using reports in Excel and other databases. Compare datasets using lookups, pivot tables and other Excel/database tools. Review, interpret and analyze the results and present solutions to billing discrepancies. Identify variance in costs and investigate causal relationship and flag issues/trends, where identified.
- Work with other units to ensure invoices are audited according to policy (Azure billing, TPIA). Reconcile invoices to contracts, orders (DTEL) to confirm accuracy.
- Investigate and initiate best practices for Telecom Expense Management (TEM) and present change requests to management to improve workload.
- Miscellaneous report downloading requirements (from internal portals).
- Support other areas such as, Accounts Payable, Finance, Regulatory, Service Operations etc., as a subject matter expert on COGs costs and billing.
- Manage and track contracts, vendor notices, CRTC Rulings and all changes that impact COGs. Also, inform management of upcoming renewal requirements.
- Act as subject matter expert on inventory, carrier invoice content, carrier contracts.
Computer Skills and Software Used
- Microsoft Excel / MS Office
- Proficiency in spreadsheet and database software
- Database mining and manipulating large data sets (MS Excel) look ups and pivots
- Carrier provided portals (SMS800, Bell Business Portal, 3rd party DID portals etc.) and other internal databases (PIC/CARE, SMDR, Facilities/Lines) etc.
- Adhoc requests as required providing information and billing related data
- Supports the Billing Analyst and acts as back-up if/when required
- The team operates cross-functionally and supports other team members as needed.
- Must be able to work collaboratively within the team.
- Must have high tolerance to ambiguity and be able to cope with changes to priorities, requirements, vendor performance, resource availability and other variables.
- Regular business hours. Occasional overtime, sometimes on short notice to address implementation issues – within an indoor office environment.
Education and Experience
- Education: Associate or Bachelor’s degree
- 3-5 years Financial and/or accounting (Telecom) knowledge and experience
- 3-5 years Telecom Expense Management, carrier billing methods and/or telecom infrastructure experience.
Skills and Aptitudes
- Operates autonomously
- Proactive and resourceful attitude towards developing solutions to issues
- Excellent analytical skills
- Excellent knowledge of MS Excel and Mathematical functions
- Produces meticulous accurate work
- Manages workload in a timely fashion
- Experience working in a team environment
- Support and guide colleagues as required