IS Developer, Manager - Toronto
As our Senior Management IS Developer you will be responsible for providing strong leadership and impart your technical knowledge to our highly- skilled team of senior system designers, software developers and web applications developers and designers. This is a very hands-on role. You would be leading the planning and execution of design and development components of software projects and programs. Along with project delivery the role encompasses oversight or production support, application ownership and maintenance as well as operational components of IS operations. As a motivating people manager, you will lead and support your team as larger development initiatives are undertaken.
As a Senior Manager IS Developer, you'll need to be able to…
- Provide leadership and direction to direct reports, typically comprising of senior system developers, software developers and web application developers and designers including 3rd party contractors.
- Establish sense of end-to-end system ownership; drive consistency and depth of maintenance and operational activities ensuring the health of Distributel’ s systems at all times.
- Apply a high degree of understanding of user needs to effectively influence, contribute to and maintain department’s delivery of operational component.
- Contribute into project planning to ensure design and development activities align to project/program’s objective incl. delivery quality, cost and timelines.
- Assign and outline work in terms of objectives, relative priorities, and critical areas that impact customer and/or impinge on work of other units
- Provide guidance and technical expertise during technical problems resolution; review work for technical accuracy, and adequacy.
- Establish and maintain monitoring of systems performance and, upon gathered performance data, provide periodic feedback to and engage with business partners to ensure issue prevention and proactive resolution.
- Drive standards and best practices within the 4 pillars: software design and development, production support, system maintenance and operations.
- Evaluate, implement and drive enhancement of tools, processes and frameworks for improving software systems enhancement, deployment, maintenance and operations delivery.
- Manage all direct reports, including hiring, training, performance reviews, ensuring adherence to policies and procedures, invoking disciplinary measures as needed. Direct the development of staff, performance review and compensation decisions and establish career and training development plans to support enhanced individual performance and succession planning.
- Must use diplomacy and persuasion to motivate team efforts towards on-time and on-budget project delivery, operational excellence, meeting all organizational and departmental objectives.
- Effectively communicate priorities and status to executives, suppliers and laterally across the technology organization. Ensure clarity around priorities and goals for the entire functional area.
- Establish great business relations and communicate effectively with managers, users, team members, cross functional departments, to ensure that priorities, deliverables and problems are clearly identified, and relevant parties are informed of any changes to project timelines.
- Evaluate external and establish, sustain and periodically reset (compress) internal Service Level Agreements and other metrics and KPIs to ensure consistency and high pace of service delivery; identify areas needing efficiency improvement and drive change. Use SLA and KPI development, monitoring and enforcement to influence the right supplier behavior to support IT/IS and business goals.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science or college diploma in Computer Programming
- 5+ years of progressive experience delivering enterprise projects
- 5-10 years in a senior software developer role
- 5-10 years in a people management role leading teams of 10+ preferably in a geographically distributed environment
- Strong leadership and team management skills
- Self-motivated, team player, action and results driven
- Personable, confident and professional, must be able to lead by example
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent organizational, time management and planning skills
- Knowledge of industry trends, programming techniques, best practices, and technologies
- Analytical and detail-oriented person
- Ability to manage, direct and motivate staff to deliver projects under tight deadlines
- Strong problem-solving skills
- Acceptable combination of experience and certification
- Strong understanding of Project Management principles and practices
- Strong understanding of Agile planning and delivery methodology and frameworks
Required Technical Skills and Experience:
- .NET web stack (C#, .NET MVC, Entity Framework)
- SQL databases
- REST/JSON APIs
- GIT and GIT workflows
- Microsoft Visual Studio
- Unit testing
- Three major web browsers (e.g. Internet Explorer, Chrome, Firefox)
- Developer tools incl. code editors, file compare/merge/sync tools, ssh, scp, sftp
Nice to have Technical Skills and Experience:
- Experience with Java, Node.JS and/or PHP
- Experience with React, Angular and/or Vue.js
- Have an open-source project with a GitHub repository
- Experience with Linux
- Experience with Azure or Docker
- NoSQL Databases
Direct Reports to the Senior Manager, IS Development
• Senior Systems Developers
• Software Developers
• Web and Applications Developers
- Occasional travel to other offices (Ottawa, Montreal and Edmonton)
• On call availability
• Office environment
• Working under pressure, tight deadlines
Since 1988, Distributel Communications Limited has been trusted by Canadians for their telecommunications needs.
Distributel is one of the pioneers of the independent service provider industry in Canada. Distributel has evolved from being founded as a long-distance provider to become a growing, national, full service telecommunications provider.