SENIOR DATABASE ADMINISTRATOR – TORONTO
At Distributel, our mission is to make the use and enjoyment of telecom services (Specifically SIP Trunking and Skype for Business solutions) radically effortless. Every day we will strive to understand, respect and prioritize our customers’ needs. We will take pride in excellent service, business integrity, and innovation. By constantly challenging ourselves to simplify, add utility and humanize the ways people do business with us, we will create a valuable experience in every way. If our mission interests you, we want to speak with you!
We are looking for a dynamic Senior Database Administrator to join our Information Services team. If you thrive in a fast-paced environment working with a high volume of databases, we have a role for you! As our Senior Database Administrator, you will be responsible for supporting 700+ databases using your extensive knowledge of SQL Server and Oracle architecture. You’ll be partnering with our Application Development team to onboard new or enhance existing applications, with a focus on recommending, implementing and supporting solutions that maximize the use of database platform capabilities. The role is required to deal with project and functional managers, staff and outside consultants to implement new applications as well as supporting and extending existing systems.
You thrive on opportunities to apply your knowledge of the database platforms and a desire to acquire a broader view of the organization and business processes. You enjoy independently defining and presenting innovative ideas to influence technology and design choices to drive scalability and performance by elevating team function and quality of service.
HERE’S A SMALL TASTE OF WHAT YOU’LL BE DOING
- Provide technical support to other senior IT/IS staff in specialized areas of database systems; own the analysis, resolution and root cause determination of database-related incidents and performance degradation, demonstrating appropriate level of urgency ensuring expected service levels are maintained.
- Manage various databases used in accounting, billing, human resources and other areas to ensure they are operating correctly, efficiently and that their backup processes occur properly. Proactively maintain operational visibility, implementing quality measures and metrics as required to identify and resolve changes in system behavior and resource usage over time.
- Design custom database software, modify, document and implement for various departmental needs such as accounting customization, inventory fulfillment management or human resources management.
Standardize and automate database platform installation, patching, configuration, maintenance tasks, compliance checks, and contributing to the documentation of build and operational procedures.
- Mentor junior dba staff, guiding, aiding and teaching them in the fulfilment of their duties. Contribute to the evolution of a continuous improvement culture, identify and lead opportunities to introduce efficiencies, automate repetitive tasks and apply expert judgement to operationalize processes.
- Lead migration of legacy systems/databases/data, upgrade or even retire systems as business processes and senior management dictate. This may require coordination with outside consultants or staff from other departments/groups.
- Research, test and implement of various technologies as specified by senior management and as need arises. Maintain currency on industry trends affecting database technologies and work with management to contribute to development of standards, operational procedures and best practices.
WHAT WILL MAKE YOU SUCCESSFUL IN THIS ROLE?
- Bachelor’s degree in Information Technology/Computer Science
- A minimum of 5+ years of Oracle and SQL Server database administration experience
- A combination of experience of 10+years in the following fields: Database Design, Development and Administration
- Database Administration (SQL Server and Oracle) and Operating Systems (MS Windows and Linux)
- MS Office Suite, variety of turning, testing, backup and monitoring administration tools.
- Experience installing, configuring, tuning and supporting MS SQL and Oracle in Windows and Linux environments
- In-depth experience with Oracle and MS SQL backup and recovery techniques, performance tuning and security
- Expert level SQL skills – both T-SQL and PL/SQL
- Expert level MS SQL Server Administration skills
- Expert level Oracle DB Administration skills
- Strong knowledge of Linux and MS Windows platforms
- Expert understanding of key relational database objects incl. tables, stored procedures, triggers, views, etc.
- Familiarity with No SQL databases
- Basic project management skills
- Ability to work well both independently and in a collaborative team environment
- Good interpersonal and communication skills, both written and verbal
- Strong problem-solving and analytical skills
- Flexible, adaptable, good organizational skills
- Ability to work well under pressure
We want you to join us in the special and rewarding work we are so fortunate to be a part of everyday - join ThinkTel, the Business Services Division of Distributel and be inspired!
If this sounds exciting and you want to be part of a team that is proud and believes in giving their all, APPLY NOW!
WE LOVE WHAT WE DO.
WE MAKE THINGS HAPPEN.
WE DO WHAT IS RIGHT.
WE CHALLENGE THE STATUS QUO.
WE PLAY AS A TEAM.
WE HAVE RELENTLESS CURIOSITY.
WE GIVE IT OUR ALL. WE GET IT ALL!